Deze site is tegenwoordig een archief over Nederlandse hiphop vroeger en krijgt geen updates meer. Zowel de site als forum zijn te tof geweest om niet online te houden.
Index   -   Actieve onderwerpen   -   Beleid   -   Zoeken   
 Index / Internet en computer /
Monn-E
Vitamine E
Gepost door Monn-E op vrijdag 12-01-2007 om 14:06:49
SEAN PRICE

Sean Price’s 2005 release Monkey Barz gave the Boot Camp Clik soldier much to brag about, but it’s his humility and round-the-way humor that gains him attention. Couple those qualities with lionhearted lyrics, and the credibility of his illustrious crew, and the Rapper formerly known as Ruck has made a bigger mark in this decade than he did in the last one. Even as the raffish John Brown (White Rapper show) jokes about a “ghetto revival,” the rap world is experiencing a renaissance coming from the performers who parallel street smarts and bookish tendencies. Ghostface has written several albums that dive into fantasy and extravagance, interspersing hood stories and lively skits. Nasty Nas and Lupe Fiasco have also managed to offset their supposed high-mindedness with a periscope that looks out on their humbler surroundings.

Sean Price is no different and a conversation with him exposed the sincerity that will make most of his joints well-liked. Jesus Price Supastar is a banger for its conciseness, naming-names honesty and talent.

Words By Drew Ricketts
TSS: Wassup Sean P, this is Drew Ricketts calling.

Sean P: What’s goin on?

TSS: Brooklyn head right here, just really appreciating your music and I want to give the fans a little bit more insight into your process…

Sean P: Okay.

TSS: The Monkey Barz record you put out in ’05 was pretty widely accepted by critics and fans alike. Obviously, that being your first record — that must’ve been a great feeling. Can you tell me more about the release of your first solo record and some of the feelings surrounding that?

Sean P: Well you know I went in there with an attitude. I wanted to, y’know, there was a little time lapse between Magnum Force and Monkey Barz, namean. So, at first I didn’t even wanna fuck with hip hop no more…especially with all the weak shit that was out. I felt like, ‘you know what? I could do better’ namean.

TSS: Right.

Sean P: So I had a chip on my shoulder like, I know I’m better than this man. You know?

TSS: Yeah. Do you feel like that’s improved? You feel like that’s changed since you dropped Monkey Barz?

Sean P: What? The quality of music? I think there’s some dudes – some up and coming dudes – that’s gon make some noise. You know like a Saigon. I like Uncle Murda. Rustee Juxx, my artist on my label. He bout to work on his album. It might be some dudes that’s coming out [that’ll] make noise. But then again, you gotta a lot of garbage n*ggas. Those cats who I named are good. The dudes who I didn’t name, they all garbage man.

TSS: (laughs) Yeah. I mean, I noticed that when you put out records leading up to Monkey Barz and previewing that joint, that a lot of the features you had were of up and coming artists, but they were really lyrical monsters. You definitely pay a lot of attention to your lyrics. How do you find that? Is it just that feeling when you hear an artist’s lyrical capability or do you have a process?

Sean P: Well basically, most of my features is my crew. I mean, everything outside of that – I could say Rustee but he Boot Camp – that’s my artist. And he fire.

TSS: Word.

Sean P: I just, yaknow, I want mufuckas who rhyme better than me or on the same level. Like, I don’t want nobody under me, namean. I don’t mind if you rhyme better than me, but you can’t rhyme worse than me. I don’t need you there then.

TSS: Is that something you can easily admit? That somebody rhymes better than you?

Sean P: Yeah, I could. I could. I don’t have a problem with that. I’m comfortable with my shit.

TSS: That’s wassup. You talk about that comfort in this interview clip that you have where you’re talking about n*ggas trying to be “Magilla Gorilla” and being something that they’re not or trying to say what they did on records… What do you feel about the pressure to do that and how do you avoid that pressure?

Sean P: You gotta be comfortable in your own skin, man. I am, yaknow. Like I said, I am what I am, b. I’m not a gangster, namean. I ain’t no killer. Have I used a gun before? Yea… but, just ‘cause you use a gun, don’t mean you a killer or a gangster. It means you a man. I mean, I had to really defend myself, namean?

TSS: Yea.

Sean P: Did that make me a gangster? Nah. That made me a man, namean. So, you know, be comfortable in ya own skin man. That’s my shit.

TSS: What do you feel about people who do use street credit as kind of a resume point? Because, you know, recently Jeezy – and obviously I’m not trying to drag you into this, I’m just using it as an example but – Jeezy said that Nas “don’t buss his gun” and “what Nas know about street cred” when talking about the whole Hip Hop is Dead argument…

Sean P: Nas from Queensbrige. Nas is from Queensbridge. Do you know Queensbridge is the biggest projects in New York City?

Sean P: Did you know that?

Sean P: You know, Queensbridge, when you say you gon move to the projects, if you have nowhere else to go, they send you to Queensbridge. It’s fuckin’ wild out there, yo.

Sean P: Trust me, he’s seen some shit. Maybe he ain’t actually been in it, but [he’s] probably seen some shit though. Even if he did or didn’t, [does] that make him less of a rapper? I think that’s the problem with some of these rappers now, that they worry about their street cred and they should be worrying about their fuckin’ skills. Just ‘cause you shot somebody, or you was in jail and did this that and the third, that don’t automatically make you a dope rapper. That make you a fuckin’ criminal. That’s what the fuck it makes you.

TSS: (Laughs) I totally agree with that take. How has your style of writing evolved over time? Because, obviously, you came in an era where the flows were a little bit different and the songs (the beats) were different but now you’ve managed to stay relevant by doing some key trademarks. Can you talk about that process?

Sean P: I mean, the writing process is like – I hear the beat and I tear it down. It ain’t even rocket science, b. You know the first thing that come to my mind, I start jotting it down. I don’t know if you heard “P-Body.” Have you heard “P-Body” yet?

TSS: Yea, I have heard it.

Sean P: Yeah man, the beat came on and I was like ‘The arm leg, leg or arm/Head MegaTron Decepticon Sean Duke you know my name’ that’s it, baby, thas it. As soon as it came on, I just started spitting that shit. I wrote it down real quick and I laid it down. When it pops up, the beat [tells] me what to do and I’m like ‘yo, this shit is stupid.’ Then 9th (Wonder) told me it was a David Ruffin sample. You know I am David Ruffin reincarnated so I felt I definitely gotta tear this beat down, baby.

TSS: You definitely have a real artistic approach and it’s good that you mention David Ruffin in describing it. Where do you think you get that from? Is that an instinctive thing or was that an influence that you drew on?

Sean P: At one point, I was doing a lot of drugs, b. I was just doing mad drugs, man.

TSS: Like wild-out drugs? Just weed or dust and shit too?

Sean P: Yeah like WILD drugs man. More than weed…no cracks, no heroin but everything else I was doing. You name it, I tried it.

TSS: You tried shrooms?

Sean P: Shrooms, pills, I even snorted a little coke. DMT…all kinda names…all that crazy shit.

TSS: Whoa, whoa you did DMT? Hold on, pause, I was about to go a whole different direction but you have to tell me about that because I haven’t done it and I heard it’s a fuckin’ incredible, wild-out experience. What was that like?

Sean P: Yeah, that shit’s crazy, b. I suggest – yo, it ain’t for the weak-minded. That’s all I have to say man.

TSS: I heard it’s like traveling through time or some shit like that.

Sean P: Yeah that shit…I seen my whole life flash before my eyes…really. Like no bullshit.

TSS: That’s wild. That’s wild.

Sean P: That shit is crazy man. I’ve done crazy drugs and then I watched movies like The Temptations or Five Heartbeats or…I’m like ‘damn, man, am I gonna be David Ruffin?’ Are they gon find me smoked-out somewhere dead, namean. I needed to just chill out.

TSS: I feel you. I feel you man.

Sean P: That’s why I be like I’m the David Ruffin, I’m the ODB of the BCC. That’s why you hear me say shit like that ‘cause my drug habit was crazy, b.

TSS: (Laughter) Yo, what movies or TV shows or DVDs really get you in the zone when you’re ready to prep another album…to write it?

Sean P: I like old black flicks like Short Eyes. You ever see Short Eyes?

TSS: Nah, I haven’t seen it.

Sean P: It’s with Curtis Mayfield. He’s in jail…plays a Muslim in jail. It’s one of my favorite movies and shit. It’s about this white dude, he go to jail for raping this little girl. But, he didn’t do that one. But when he in jail, he admit to this other one he did to [a] Puerto Rican dude so they fuck him, and kill him. Yea…it’s one of my favorite movies.

TSS: That’s pretty heavy stuff, man.

Sean P: Yeah… The Spook Who Sat By the Door. I watch all that crazy shit. I love all that crazy shit. And you know, most of the thing with the old black Fred Williamson-type movies …I like shoot-em-up shit, yaknow, karate shit, shoot-em-up, Steven Seagal, namean. Shit like that. Gotta be some violence in it though. I ain’t with all that soft — I ain’t with all that Brokeback shit.

TSS: (More laughs) What does it mean to you to maintain that sense of humor, that lightheartedness…you know, you kinda have a real rough flow, you’re a big dude and everything…is that a contrast you make purposely?

Sean P: That’s just natural, b. That’s just me. Really, that’s just me. The flows – the flows –I can’t even describe the flows. Flow’s just what it is. I just thank God people appreciate it, that’s all. That’s why I tell people I got tons of useless information. It don’t even make sense when I start writing a rhyme, namean.

TSS: Do you think a lot of the emcees that last are able to soak in a lot from the outside world?

Sean P: Yea that, and, yaknow you gotta stay up with current shit, b. Like I wake up in the morning, I go get the Daily News, The Post … I watch the news. I read a lot. All that shit. Everything helps. You never know it’s helping until you start writing and shit.

TSS: Yeah word. Is there any news story in Hip Hop or otherwise that strikes out at you from the past year?

Sean P: Naaaah. I don’t really give a fuck about all the rappers, man. I’m friends with none of ‘em, namean?

TSS: (chuckles)

Sean P: So I could care less about what goes on with any of ‘em. Real talk. I’m just doing my thing. You do your thing. God bless.

TSS: Yeah, I meant anything in terms of just current event like, you know, the n*gga who saved the other dude on the subway. Just shit that sticks out in your mind.

Sean P: Oh that shit? I read about shit like that. That’s hot man. That’s hot. Daily News, baby. I read that all the time. Shit, some dude around my way just got smacked by the train, they ain’t put that shit in the news.

TSS: Oh word?

Sean P: Yeah, he got smacked by the L train.

TSS: Damn.

Sean P: Nobody put that in the news. It is what it is.

TSS: Was he trying to jump or something? What happened?

Sean P: I don’t know. He fucked up. He living. He living with a train wreck on his face. Can’t even kill yourself right, n*gga.

TSS: (laughs)

Sean P: A real fucking failure right? You can’t even kill yourself. What a fucking loser.

TSS: (laughs) You have a real diverse clique in the Boot Camp and, you know, it’s a collective. It’s not like a group where y’all do everything together so how do you manage to make that shit last when everybody’s striking out with group and solo projects?

Sean P: Oh, we family man. A Sean Price album is a Boot Camp album to a certain degree. They don’t write nothing for me, but I got my peers that, you know, make sure my shit’s correct. Like, I let Buckshot and Steele hear my shit and they give me pointers and be like ‘yo chill with that’ or ‘don’t say that you buggin’ out, you going too far.’ They check me. They check me. It’s all good. I need that.

TSS: Right. Is there any piece of advice where you say ‘I appreciate your opinion but this is staying on my album’ or ‘nah, that’s not changing’?

Sean P: Uhh…I got a song on Monkey Barz that’s called “Fake Neptunes”. Remember that?

TSS: Yeah, definitely.

Sean P: “Fake Neptunes” when I did that, Steele was like ‘yo, you gon name a song Fake Neptunes? You a fuckin’ idiot. The fuck is wrong with you, b?’ I’m like ‘yo, the fuck, this sound like a Neptune beat but it’s not by them: Fake Neptunes.’

TSS: (laughter)

Sean P: What are you talking about? That’s what I’ma call it. And we was arguing, like we was really ARGUing. Not mad at each other like we wanted to fight but –

TSS: Like brothers…

Sean P: Really heated. He’d be like ‘you a fuckin’ idiot.’ And I’m like ‘yo fuck you n*gga, that’s what I’m gonna do.’ So after all that arguing he threw a verse on there and he [goes] pyew pyew, you know, like imitating the Neptunes sound. I’m like ‘you motherfucker! I’m bout to go in there and drop-kick this mufucka.’ But I love that n*gga, Steele, that’s my n*gga. We argue for two hours yo, and then he go in there and go pyew pyew… this motherfucker…

TSS: Yo, actually ran into your clique when Black Moon was shooting the “Stay Real” video on a rooftop in midtown. And I remember Tek and Steele [were] there, and one of my peoples was on the production unit, but anyway there’s a rumor that Boot Camp Clik (or most of you) prefer to smoke [schwag] over like high-grade weed. Is there any truth to that?

Sean P: Say it again. That we prefer what?

TSS: That you prefer Blacks over mid-level or high-grade – like purple haze – and things like that.

Sean P: Oh, oh, you know what? It’s that there’s a lot of Rastas around us and most of the Rastas they sell that yard weed.

TSS: Yeah.

Sean P: They smoke yard. But trust me though, I’m a piff n*gga. I got mad piff on me right now. I smoke piff. It’s just that…that piff shit have a n*gga stupid. That shit gets you too high. You don’t wanna be too high. Like right now…my man bout to pass me a spliff right now…on some real shit. Cause I don’t [front], we smoke blacks but we smoke piff too.

(Coughing in background)

Sean P: You hear my man choking?

TSS: Yeah. That’s how you –

Sean P: That’s how you know it’s good baby. I smoke piff. My favorite weed though…out in Amsterdam…they had some shit [called] Northern Lights-Five-Time-Haze.

TSS: Really?

Sean P: Thaaaat shit was outta this world.

TSS: What was the high like?

Sean P: Oh, the high was awesome, b. I couldn’t get up out my seat, n*gga. We was in there…we seen Nas…and, no disrespect Nas, but I was so much into my smoke I ain’t even pay him no mind. We were like ‘yo what up man, what up’ and then we just started smoking again. We was enjoying ourselves, n*gga.

TSS: I feel you. I feel you.

Sean P: After we finished smoking it was like ‘damn that was Nas, we ain’t even holler…fuck’.

TSS: Is there anything you want to tell the fans about Jesus Price Supastar to really entice them to cop it?

Sean P: Well (inhales) I want people to know that Jesus Price… (inhales) – if you read the Bible, allegedly in the Bible it says that Jesus went through town and he spread the word. And the word was God. So basically what Jesus Price is doing is, I’m going through town spreading the word. And the word is Hip Hop. That’s where it start and end at, namean. No crazy shit. No nails in my feet. I ain’t on a cross. I ain’t walking on water. None of that shit. That’s where the title comes from ‘cause I’m going through the hood spreading the word, and the word is Hip Hop. I just want people to enjoy it. It’s harder than Monkey Barz. I’m not saying it’s better. That’s for you to decide. It’s definitely harder than Monkey Barz.

TSS: Thanks for your time. Out of all the artists I’ve interviewed, this was probably the best. I really think that next joint is gonna be hard.

Sean P: Thank you man and remember: The Mother of Ignorance is always pregnant. But at Sean Price house, the bitch have twins!

Sean Price’s Jesus Price Superstar releases on 1.30.07 on Duck Down Records. Purchase & show your support.
[ Dit bericht is gewijzigd door op 12-01-2007 @ 14:07:45 ]

----------------------------------------
Vitamine E:
Twitter
Huussuh Gepost door Huussuh op vrijdag 12-01-2007 om 14:13:44
I think that’s the problem with some of these rappers now, that they worry about their street cred and they should be worrying about their fuckin’ skills.

P slaat de spijker op zn kop, dope interview
dap schreef op 08-11-2010 @ 17:52
over 2 maanden weet ik al niet meer wie huussuh is.
Nekkie
Ceremonie Meester
Gepost door Nekkie op vrijdag 12-01-2007 om 21:57:01
Haha hij is de baas
Laat je verlichten: www.myspace.com/deverlichting
Kapowski
Ejje et al eheurt? meichie kracht wegleupt kaamp
Gepost door Kapowski op vrijdag 12-01-2007 om 22:02:42
ga zondag op rustdag ff lezen
Sadar
Gepost door Sadar op vrijdag 12-01-2007 om 22:21:30
dope interview ja
son get wrec
genocide
y'all know
Gepost door genocide op vrijdag 12-01-2007 om 23:57:06
pappie spreekt waarheid, Sean Phee, hehe in een korte tijd is het hele forum Sean Price groupie geworden (way to go huuussuh)
heavy weight bomber
Sadar
Gepost door Sadar op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 00:07:55
dat is best gay dan
son get wrec
Petfles
Teringhond & Co.
Gepost door Petfles op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 03:24:23
pik je dat huussuh?
RijmPiet
Hoe wou je dat doen?
Gepost door RijmPiet op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 03:40:39
HEeujh!
Jonkonize!
Monn-E
Vitamine E
Gepost door Monn-E op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 11:55:28
Ik vond BCC altijd al wel dope, maar nu is het Sean Price hype, en terecht wel want 't is een van de weinige MC's die het juist brengt op dit moment
Vitamine E:
Twitter
Huussuh Gepost door Huussuh op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 12:59:38
Quote:
genocide schreef op 12-01-2007 @ 23:57
pappie spreekt waarheid, Sean Phee, hehe in een korte tijd is het hele forum Sean Price groupie geworden (way to go huuussuh)

eigenlijk vindik dat een beetje wack. Ik ga overstappen op een andere rapper die nog niemand kent en dan hou ik m lekker voor mezelf!
Finger
Gepost door Finger op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 13:03:35
Wees gerust ik vind er nog steeds geen reet aan.
FreakyFreek
Teringhond & Co.
Gepost door FreakyFreek op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 13:08:23
Sean P: Nas from Queensbrige. Nas is from Queensbridge. Do you know Queensbridge is the biggest projects in New York City?

Sean P: Did you know that?

ah mayn zoiezo kenkegrappig interview
[ Dit bericht is gewijzigd door op 13-01-2007 @ 13:22:34 ]

http://www.wijzenuithetoosten.nl
Huussuh Gepost door Huussuh op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 13:11:27
Ik denk trouwens niet dat ik ga overstappen hoor, P blijft gewoon held, vooral als je dan weer zo'n koningsinterview leest.
FreakyFreek
Teringhond & Co.
Gepost door FreakyFreek op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 13:31:10
dinsdag ong moet trouwens monkey barz LP aanspoelen hier
http://www.wijzenuithetoosten.nl
melle
Gepost door melle op zaterdag 13-01-2007 om 13:33:05
Echte spacer, maar vind hem niet zo heel erg dope.
Wel grappig interview.
[url]www.soundcloud.com/wnm[/url]
Bru-Taal1989
Gepost door Bru-Taal1989 op zondag 14-01-2007 om 14:08:06
Ik vind P Dope, maar dat heel nlhh opeens groupie is vind ik ook een beetje...... ja...Het huusuh syndroom of zo....
[url]http://www.last.fm/user/Bru-Taal/[/url]
Jspr
Gepost door Jspr op zondag 14-01-2007 om 14:10:26
wat is dat, als je iets nieuws luistert en je vind het dope ben je dan ineens groupie? of zijn de mensen een beetje jaloers dat zij er niet mee kwamen. gemekker altijd.
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6913/laughq.jpg
Kapowski
Ejje et al eheurt? meichie kracht wegleupt kaamp
Gepost door Kapowski op zondag 14-01-2007 om 14:13:27
go jspr ik ga vnamiddag lezen ga nu saints row spelen bij een maat van me laterrrrrrrrr
Arihasj
skip mijn eigen intro's
Gepost door Arihasj op zondag 14-01-2007 om 14:14:08
Quote:
Bru-Taal1989 schreef op 14-01-2007 @ 14:08
Ik vind P Dope, maar dat heel nlhh opeens groupie is vind ik ook een beetje...... ja...Het huusuh syndroom of zo....

word
Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang
Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, it's on your brain
Jos de Boss
Jops
Gepost door Jos de Boss op zondag 14-01-2007 om 14:27:37
Quote:
TSS: Right. Is there any piece of advice where you say ‘I appreciate your opinion but this is staying on my album’ or ‘nah, that’s not changing’?

Sean P: Uhh…I got a song on Monkey Barz that’s called “Fake Neptunes”. Remember that?

TSS: Yeah, definitely.

Sean P: “Fake Neptunes” when I did that, Steele was like ‘yo, you gon name a song Fake Neptunes? You a fuckin’ idiot. The fuck is wrong with you, b?’ I’m like ‘yo, the fuck, this sound like a Neptune beat but it’s not by them: Fake Neptunes.’

TSS: (laughter)

Sean P: What are you talking about? That’s what I’ma call it. And we was arguing, like we was really ARGUing. Not mad at each other like we wanted to fight but –

TSS: Like brothers…

Sean P: Really heated. He’d be like ‘you a fuckin’ idiot.’ And I’m like ‘yo fuck you n*gga, that’s what I’m gonna do.’ So after all that arguing he threw a verse on there and he [goes] pyew pyew, you know, like imitating the Neptunes sound. I’m like ‘you motherfucker! I’m bout to go in there and drop-kick this mufucka.’ But I love that n*gga, Steele, that’s my n*gga. We argue for two hours yo, and then he go in there and go pyew pyew… this motherfucker…

ghehe
Jos de Boss
Arihasj
skip mijn eigen intro's
Gepost door Arihasj op zondag 14-01-2007 om 16:14:16
wel vet interview

"Sean P: That’s why I be like I’m the David Ruffin, I’m the ODB of the BCC. That’s why you hear me say shit like that ‘cause my drug habit was crazy, b."

Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang
Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, Wu, Tang, it's on your brain
 Index / Internet en computer /
© 1998 - 2024 NLhiphop.nl. Alle rechten voorbehouden - All rights reserved. Parsed in 0.0084 sec.