Deze site is tegenwoordig een archief over Nederlandse hiphop vroeger en krijgt geen updates meer. Zowel de site als forum zijn te tof geweest om niet online te houden.
Index   -   Actieve onderwerpen   -   Beleid   -   Zoeken   
 Index / Muziek /
Tha_Bre
Ondertitel
Gepost door Tha_Bre op maandag 20-08-2007 om 18:10:11
Op 23 oktober komt de CD en DVD ''Who am I'' van Cormega uit, samen gebundeld dus twee dope dingen voor de prijs van een, check de trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXutOEAbd4A

Een nummer dat gelekt is, is een collabo met Styles P, genaamd use mad clips:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IUXM9PGA

Voor degene die niet weten wie Cormega is, check:

Born in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Cormega grew up in the Queensbridge Housing Projects in Long Island City, Queens, forming childhood friendships with future rappers such as Nas, Mobb Deep, Nature and Capone-N-Noreaga. When he was 4, his mother was murdered; he then moved in with his father and stepmother. Cory's stepmother insisted that he read one book a week, which he credited with getting him interested in writing.[2] He became a rapper well-known in his projects, though by his later teen years, he was in jail.

Along with fellow QB-native Tragedy Khadafi, Cormega is perhaps most respected for his candid and often poignant rhymes which characterise inner-city living without ever seeming verbose. Despite never garnering the mainstream appeal of contemporaries such as Nas, Mobb Deep and Noreaga, he remains respected as an emceee's emcee who tells it as it is without glamourising the world of crime as many other emcee's are known to do. Cormega recorded an album as MC Cor with Marley Marl in the late 80's, due to an unknown incident he ended up in jail and the album shelved. Later, he was brought to the hip-hop world's attention in 1989. He was featured on Hot Day's "Going Straight Up" from his album "It's My Turn". He was also featured on Blaq Poet & DJ Hot Day's track "Set It Off" from their album "Without Warning" in 1991.

In the early '90s, like fellow QB-native Lakey The Kid, despite still being incarcerated, Cormega gained notoriety following a shout-out from Nas on the Q-Tip-produced "One Love", from his critically acclaimed Illmatic album. Coupled with Cormega's already established rhyming prowess this created considerable street buzz despite an obvious lack of outstanding material.

Hence following his release from prison in 1995, Cormega became determined to pursue rapping. Nas let him guest on a song entitled "Affirmative Action" for his second album It Was Written. The song also featured AZ and Foxy Brown, and became The Firm's first appearance. Based on his performance, he was signed to Def Jam and recorded an album called The Testament. Based on the buzz from "Affirmative Action," Nas, his manager Steve Stoute and producers Dr. Dre and Trackmasters joined to produce The Firm. Cormega was replaced with another artist, Nature, because either he would not sign a contract with Stoute or Stoute felt Nature was a better rapper. This led to an alleged altercation between Cormega and Nature. Cormega's dispute with Stoute also ended his friendship with Nas. Meanwhile following a falling-out over creative differences with his manager Chris Lighty and Def-Jam imprint Violator Records, his debut album The Testament, was indefinitely shelved.

In 2000, he was released from his contract and he started his own record company, Legal Hustle Records. Cormega vented his disappointment with Nas and The Firm in a mixtape song titled "Never Personal (Fuck Nas N Nature)". In 2001, he released his new debut album, The Realness, which was acclaimed by critics. Many of the songs share a theme of betrayal. Nas responded to Cormega on his song "Destroy and Rebuild" from his album Stillmatic. Cormega retaliated with more mixtape tracks, "A Slick Response" and "Realmatic". His followup albums The True Meaning which won the Source Magazine's prestigious Underground Album of the Year award. In 2004 He followed up with Legal Hustle (a compilation album showcasing his label's artists) and other talented hip hop lyricists such as Ghostface Killah, Large Professor, AZ, Kurupt, Jay-O felony, and several others. This album is considered by some as more of a project than an actual solo album; nonetheless it was well received. In 2005, he was able to release The Testament on his own label, which saw good reviews and sales and featured the original banned version of Dead Man Walking as a hidden track.

In early September 2005, Cormega posted a statement on his website that he and Nas had spoken and ended their feud. Cormega explained that their conversation had come about due to the death of Nas' mother, Ann Jones, a woman who Cormega had known as a child. Both rappers have stated the possibility of a collaboration.

Currently, Cormega is working on an album which was to be entitled Urban Legend before T.I.'s album of the same name was released; the new title is; "The Inevitable"[1]. An album collaboration with Lakey The Kid entitled "My Brother's Keeper", was released independently on August 22nd, 2006.

On December 22nd 2006, Cormega appeared on stage at a Nas concert and went on to perform with Nas (and Nature as well), further evidence that their feud is over[2]. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLKDHH2MrcM

Cormega will also be releasing a mixtape entitled The Prelude, featuring production from Large Professor, Heatmakerz, and Emile. It will also feature appearances by Nature, Immortal Technique, Jacka of the Mob Figaz, Havoc of Mobb Deep, Tragedy Khadfi, Styles P., Little Brother, Lil Fame of M.O.P., Large Professor, and Dipset members Juelz Santana & Hell Rell. It is to be released in early 2007. [3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormega
----------------------------------------
I ain't in this just to rhyme great
NoApologies
echt
Gepost door NoApologies op maandag 20-08-2007 om 18:29:07
cool ik zal wel checken het klinkt dope.
niet
Weazel
Gepost door Weazel op maandag 20-08-2007 om 19:50:22
Mega is zeker wel een relaxte rapper.
Al heb ik eigenlijk geen CD van hem.
wel veel nummers van hem op CD's van anderen
Tha_Bre
Ondertitel
Gepost door Tha_Bre op dinsdag 21-08-2007 om 00:54:19
Quote:
Weazel schreef op 20-08-2007 @ 19:50
Mega is zeker wel een relaxte rapper.
Al heb ik eigenlijk geen CD van hem.
wel veel nummers van hem op CD's van anderen

Shit man je moet zeker ''The Realness'' uitchecken dat is zeker zijn beste album en kan zich meten met de beste hiphop albums ooit.

Paar nummers van dit album.

Cormega ft Prodigy - Thun and kicko

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IOGFIZW0

Op deze track slaat Prodigy terug naar Jay-Z's (takeover diss), en Mega dist Nas. Zieke track en zieke Havoc beat.

Cormega ft Tragedy Khadafi - They forced my hand

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NJ76R780

Gewoon zieke track, goede collabo.

Cormega - Fallen soldiers

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QFYCLG47

Cormega - Unforgiven

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YNCPECWQ

Bru-Taal1989
Gepost door Bru-Taal1989 op dinsdag 21-08-2007 om 01:50:02
Ken Cormega eigenlijk alleen van The Realness en wat feauterings. Op the Realness vind ik hem heel hardt (american beauty en they forced my hand), de rest nog nooit echt gecheckt......
[url]http://www.last.fm/user/Bru-Taal/[/url]
Tha_Bre
Ondertitel
Gepost door Tha_Bre op dinsdag 21-08-2007 om 20:00:30
Hmm ik kan je al zijn andere albums ook wel aanraden.

The true meaning is een vet album, dat ook gebundeld met The Realness wordt verkocht voor de prijs van een. Het heet Special Edition.

The Testament is het album dat hij maakte op Def Jam, en nooit uitkwam en hij in 04 heeft uitgebracht via zijn eigen label.

Legal Hustle is een album vol met eigen artiesten en features met Large Pro, Ghostface, Kurupt, M.O.P en Az en een paar solo tracks, en is zeker ook wel vette shit.

Hier wat tracks van zijn andere albums in een zip:
- A thin line (prod by Buckwild)
- The legacy (prod by Alchemist)
- Beautiful mind (geen flauw idee wie het heeft geproduceerd maar vette track)
- Dead man walking (klinkt als een Havoc track)
- Dirty Game (DJ Premier track)
- Let it go ft M.O.P (vet)
- Love is love (geschreven toen hij in de gevangenis zat en een van zijn beste tracks)
- Suger Ray and Hearns ft Large Pro (Pro breng het)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TS8A1LFG

Maar ik ben dus blijkbaar de enige fan op het forum? Check die shit mensen.
Unexplained Gepost door Unexplained op dinsdag 21-08-2007 om 20:04:40
Niet de enigste..

Maar vergeet je die shit met Lake niet? Of daar niet bekend mee?

Nevermind, zie Diry Game er al tussen staan.
[ Dit bericht is gewijzigd door op 21-08-2007 @ 20:05:30 ]
Tha_Bre
Ondertitel
Gepost door Tha_Bre op dinsdag 21-08-2007 om 20:13:15
Ik kon niet echt in dat album met Lake komen, ik weet niet ik vind Lake een beetje kut.
Bru-Taal1989
Gepost door Bru-Taal1989 op woensdag 22-08-2007 om 02:26:49
Quote:
Tha_Bre schreef op 21-08-2007 @ 20:00
Hmm ik kan je al zijn andere albums ook wel aanraden.

The true meaning is een vet album, dat ook gebundeld met The Realness wordt verkocht voor de prijs van een. Het heet Special Edition.

The Testament is het album dat hij maakte op Def Jam, en nooit uitkwam en hij in 04 heeft uitgebracht via zijn eigen label.

Legal Hustle is een album vol met eigen artiesten en features met Large Pro, Ghostface, Kurupt, M.O.P en Az en een paar solo tracks, en is zeker ook wel vette shit.

Hier wat tracks van zijn andere albums in een zip:
- A thin line (prod by Buckwild)
- The legacy (prod by Alchemist)
- Beautiful mind (geen flauw idee wie het heeft geproduceerd maar vette track)
- Dead man walking (klinkt als een Havoc track)
- Dirty Game (DJ Premier track)
- Let it go ft M.O.P (vet)
- Love is love (geschreven toen hij in de gevangenis zat en een van zijn beste tracks)
- Suger Ray and Hearns ft Large Pro (Pro breng het)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TS8A1LFG

Maar ik ben dus blijkbaar de enige fan op het forum? Check die shit mensen.

Bedankt voor die tracks....
Tha_Bre
Ondertitel
Gepost door Tha_Bre op woensdag 22-08-2007 om 13:45:10
Geen probleem.

Cormega Drafts DJ Premier & The Alchemist For Instrumental CD, Readies New Solo Disc
Wednesday - August 22, 2007 by Jolene "foxxylady" Petipas

Queensbridge rapper Cormega will be releasing two projects from his Legal Hustle imprint this year.

Mega will kick off his return with the first installment of his producer instrumental series titled Legal Hustle Presents Got Beats? The disc will feature beats from DJ Premier, Alchemist, Ayatollah, Buckwild, Ski Beats, Heatmakerz and Jae Supreme, among others.

Mega will then drop his CD/DVD combo titled Who Am I. The DVD portion will be a documentary chronicling the rapper’s life from 2001-2005, while the CD will include music featured in the documentary.

Legal Hustle Presents Got Beats? hits shelves on October 9 while Who Am I drops on October 23.
FreakyFreek
Teringhond & Co.
Gepost door FreakyFreek op woensdag 22-08-2007 om 16:09:19
realness is zeker klassiek, wel beetje emo tho, maar zeker goed!
http://www.wijzenuithetoosten.nl
Tha_Bre
Ondertitel
Gepost door Tha_Bre op woensdag 22-08-2007 om 21:36:19
Haha ja het album draait toch wel veel rond emo zaken ja wraak lijkt ook een beetje centraal te staan op Nas en de industrie. Maar valt opzich wel mee hoe emo het is?

1. Dramatic Entrance (niet echt emo)
2. American Beauty (Hier zit een Nas diss in die opzich wel grappig is ik citeer: ''She met a lame with a drugdealers name/ he had it on lock for a while but then his whole style changed'' track is verder niet emo maar meer een rauwe track)
3. Thun And Kicko (diss track)
4. The Saga (emotioneel)
5. R U My Nigga (emo)
6. Unforgiven (rauw)
7. Fallen Soldiers (emo)
8. Glory Days (over alles back in the day's voor hem persoonlijk en hiphop en andere shit)
9. Rap's A Hustle (een track over hiphop)
10. Get Out Of My Way (diss achtig naar industrie/ Nas)
11. You Don't Want It (idem)
12. 5 For 40 (een accapela niet echt emo ofzo)
13. They Forced My Hand (rauw)
14. Fallen Soldiers (Remix) (emo)

Valt wel mee hoe emotioneel, dacht ik. gewoon een goede mix van verschillende onderwerpen ook al zou je kunnen zeggen dat de cd soort van dedicated to Nas is.
Bru-Taal1989
Gepost door Bru-Taal1989 op donderdag 23-08-2007 om 02:44:05
Ik heb Legal Hustle en The True Meaning even gecheckt vandaag. Vind Legal Hustle ook wel een ernstig dik album. The Realness staat ook weer in de playlist, blijft gruwelijk.....
Tha_Bre
Ondertitel
Gepost door Tha_Bre op maandag 27-08-2007 om 11:43:02
Haha zeker ik bump de laatste tijd ook veel Mega shit.

Nieuw interview met Mega overigens:

bron:

http://www.thaformula.com/cormega_cu...ula_music.html

Hip Hop

Q & A W/ cormega: CULTURAL ILLUSION

August 2007

thaFormula.com - In your eyes how much has changed since you last put out an album and what has changed?

Cormega - A lot. A lot of labels have folded, independent and major and I learned so much as far as the business aspect. I know how to carry myself a different way business wise and I've just seen the difference between the music man. I've seen the East Coast decline.

thaFormula.com - What mistakes do you think you have made business wise that you won't make again?

Cormega - Being loyal to somebody I should have never been loyal to and being loyal to a person who has no loyalty. Somebody that works at a record company and I was doing business with for years that I should have never done business with because he is a piece of shit at the end of the day and I tried to build something with him, but he ain't worth it. No matter how you dress a piece of shit up, it's a piece of shit.

thaFormula.com - If somebody was trying to get into the independent game today is it even worth it in your eyes?

Cormega - If you were trying to get in the independent game, I can't tell a muthafucka "don't get in the independent game" because if you don't get in the independent game, you might as well get a job because its hard to get on a major and majors don't know what the fuck they are doing right now. If you look at the majors right now, they are more focused on singles and ring tone hits than they are albums with substance. So if someone is gonna go Indy, my advice to them would be make sure your paperwork is right and make sure you got the right lawyer, because some lawyers don't give a fuck. All they wanna do is get you a deal so they could get they cut. You've got to make sure that you have a lawyer that's looking out for your best interest.

thaFormula.com - In your eyes who is the first person they should be hiring when getting ready for record deals, etc.?

Cormega - You got to get all of the above. You've got to have a good manager and a good lawyer and you've got to be on top of your business. You can't think ignorantly. You can't think how they programmed you to think. You can't think about rims, jewelry or that other shit. You have to think of the big picture because at the end of the day you know who makes the most money off of rap? Old, old white men (Laughs) who don't even listen to the music. So you have to try to think like them. Like they are not thinking about rims, they are not thinking about chains. They will buy a fucking rim company and let you go crazy and spend all your money on rims and they will buy a jewelry company while you go crazy. You have to think investment wise and stuff like that.

thaFormula.com - When we first hooked up for our first interview with you about 6 years ago, the independent scene and Hip-Hop was kind of similar to what it has turned into now?

Cormega - Yeah the independent game back then especially in the East Coast uh, nobody was Indy really.

thaFormula.com - Right, and then the Indy explosion happened and kind of dried up and here we are now in 2007 and...

Cormega - Everybody is going Indy.

thaFormula.com - Yeah, I feel like we are starting all over again sitting here doing this interview…

Cormega - I think the independent game is thriving right now, it's just that certain artists ain't the ones benefiting from it. Like if you put out an Independent album, you have to understand that if you are getting the right cut, you are gonna make money. You could sell 10,000 records independently and live comfortably. If you can sell 10,000 and not have a lot of overhead, you can make damn near as much as some doctors. You can sell 20,000 records and not have a lot of overhead and definitely live comfortable. Anything between 20,000 and 50,000 independently, if you don't spend a lot of overhead and you are getting a good cut, you are good.

thaFormula.com - Are you happy with what you have done and where you are at right now?

Cormega - I could never live the way I wanna live because I have such high expectations and I want so much more. It ain't about me right now, it's about my daughter. I done lived already. Like in between the time that I put out albums, I done did it. I done had everything I always wanted, but everything I always wanted was foolish. I was chasing a cultural illusion. I wanted a Rolex, I wanted cars, etc., and stuff like that doesn't define me as a person or as a man. I had cars, jewelry and all that shit but there was other things that I want. Right now it's not about me. Right now it's about how can I make my daughters life incredible or how can I be the best father that I can be or how can I be the best artist that I can be because I'm never satisfied. Satisfaction is for the content person. I'm not content. I think me not being content is what keeps me driven. Like I can go in the booth and say a rhyme and be like "nah I want to do it over" and people will look at me like I'm crazy. But they don't understand, I'm trying to do better then what I have done previously or I'm trying to make sure its perfect. So it's like I could say I'm living good or I could say life is alright for me but there is other things that I want. I am happy though with what I have been able to provide for my family because when I look at my daughter, I envy my daughter. I wanted my daughter's life to be better then mine and since she was born, her life was better then mine. My daughter left the hospital in a BMW and she's got her own room, a DVD player and X-Box when she was 1. She's got everything she needs. She's got toys, goes to school and is provided for. But at the same time, that's just superficial stuff, it's like what more can I do? I want her to love me and know me for more then just giving her stuff like this. I also want her to understand that it's a blessing for her to have these things. Every child doesn't have this.

thaFormula.com - When you had your daughter and now it's all about your family, do you start to question some of the people around you as far as motives and things like that?

Cormega - I always question those people around me and their motives. To be honest I don't even fuck with a lot of people that I used to fuck with. I might be cool with them, there is no beef or nothing, but I just don't have certain people in my circle everyday because the way I rate people is that everybody is gonna have bad and everybody is gonna have good, but if your bad outweighs your good, then I don't need to be fucking with you. So I don't fuck with niggas like that and I don't fuck with niggas who call me every time they need something, but other then that they don't call you. Like me being an artist and me being a street person, I see life different. A lot of people that fuck with me are situated. Everybody I fuck with is self sufficient so it's like I don't really have anybody in my circle that can't generate for themselves.

thaFormula.com - Looking back at the Lake and Cormega album you dropped a while back, was it all good or do you have any regrets about that project seeing as how it seemed like you put that out there with Lake on some homie love type shit?

Cormega - To be honest with you, I don't know. In some ways I do regret that I did it because at the end of the day I want to know like, who would do that for me?

thaFormula.com - Did everything turn out cool with that project?

Cormega - I don't even know man to be honest with you. I don't know and I really haven't even spoken to Lake recently honestly. When that album was turned in, I felt that the album shouldn't have been turned in. That's all I could say and I know because this is what I do. You know me, I've been putting out Indy albums for years. So I just feel that the album should not have been turned in when it was turned in.

thaFormula.com - Now you were originally dropping the "Legal Hustle 2" soundtrack, but you decided to drop the DVD "Who Am I" on October 23rd, instead. What made you do that?

Cormega - Because at the end of the day my fans wanted the DVD more and because the person I was doing the mix tape with has a problem with saying a straight sentence. I put in enough work in this game to earn my respect amongst my peers and amongst labels etc., so the "Legal Hustle" album was all about money so when I didn't see the money there, I fell back from it. There is no need for me to do it. If it's not about money, I'm not doing it. It wasn't a project that was on my label. It would have been a project that was going through somebody else's label via some other label. So that was something I was doing just for money and at the end of the day I had to ask myself, why am I doing that? It's like I'm being a ho if I do something just for money because for my fans "Legal Hustle 2" is not what they've been requesting all these years and that's not what they're waiting for. I mean they was appreciating the songs that I leaked, but the "Who Am I" DVD had way more anticipation than that and at the end of the day, I'm not gonna be no ho nigga. I got to much dignity and respect for myself to just do something for money especially if the money ain't even there.

thaFormula.com - Do you think the Major labels and the Independent labels are pretty much run the same way nowadays?

Cormega - I don't know. A lot of independent companies are folding. There is not even a lot of Independent companies left if you think about it. If you understand the mechanics of the business, a lot of these little labels are all part of the same chain. A lot of them are either a part of Caroline, Navarre, or they are a part of Koch and Navarre was recently bought out by Koch. So at the end of the day, there is not too many options on the Independent tip. There are other smaller companies, but even some of the branded names that are established names are part of those 3 names that I just mentioned.

thaFormula.com - So with that being the case, how did you approach setting up your situation for your DVD and your upcoming solo album?

Cormega - Right now, I'm not even gonna lie, I'm blessed right now. I think I might have the best situation that I have ever had in my life right now. I'm calling the shots. It's not Legal Hustle/such and such company. It's Legal Hustle Music Group point blank, that's it. I control my music. I O.K. everything. There is no funny business with the money because I got to approve it and I have to oversee it. Everything that I want done right now is done the way I want it so this is the best situation I ever had. It's not based on me putting my trust in somebody's hand. I got my own distribution deal for Legal Hustle. Everything from now on will be Legal Hustle Music Group.

thaFormula.com - With that said, let's get into the DVD. How much if anything has changed over the past couple of years with the DVD?

Cormega - The only thing that has changed is time. We filmed between 2001 and 2005. We were supposed to come out with this DVD actually around 2005 but you know we had delays and also it was about me securing the right deal for it and treating the project like a big project and not just a DVD that's thrown out in the streets like you know them rappers do. The DVD isn't gonna be me jumping around with a gun in my hand talking about how tough I am and all that bullshit. This DVD is basically chronicling my life between 2001 and 2004. You are gonna see other sides of me. There is unreleased videos, show footage, and there is me joking around. I have a sense of humor, but the average person doesn't know that because they think every rapper that is in the street is a tough guy or wanna be tough guy. I'm secure with myself. You're gonna see me on there joking with my friends and things like that that regular people do. There is interviews that are done with my peers and friends who grew up with me and I'm not around while they are interviewing these people because I want people to speak freely. Even if you say something negative, I'm gonna keep it on there because that's how you feel. Now one of things that I learned about myself is that everybody that they interview, 95 percent of the people all say "Mega is a good person." Like, "he has a good heart" so that had me flattered that people think that about me. Its like publicist was saying how Cormega does good things, but the media never talks about the things that he does, they just focus on the bullshit. Jackie (Cormega's Publicist) stressed the fact that I did The Great Adventures thing (Cormega took the whole neighborhood in Queensbridge to Great Adventures). I could have had a camera crew for Great Adventures or I could have promoted it, but I didn't. I did that from the heart and I didn't feel the need to have cameras that day and there was none. They also don't see when I go visit Goldwater Hospital and I go visit people that's paralyzed or that's in wheelchairs etc., because 85 percent of people between the age of 14 & 35 that's Latino or Black and is in a wheelchair or paralyzed are there from gun shot wounds. So there are scenes on there where I am visiting people in the hospital. It's showing other sides of me so it's not the typical promotion CD. It's just me. That's what it is, "Who am I." Its like a question I ask myself, "Who am I?" Am I a street dude? Am I a father? It's like what I am. Its like everyman in existence has to ask himself that question.

thaFormula.com - What videos can people see on the DVD?

Cormega - I got a video for "Are U My Ni**a"," I got a video for "Get Out My Way," "The True Meaning," "Live Ya Life," "Built For This" and there might be a couple of other joints in there. It's gonna be real special man.

thaFormula.com - Will there be any studio footage of you working on the new album?

Cormega - There might be a scene of me working on the new album. There is a scene of me and PMD working on that song "Fresh" that is so dope. I was thinking about using it or I was thinking about saving it for my album and doing like a trailer before the actual album comes out. But we will figure it out.

thaFormula.com - Will there be any snippets from your new album on the DVD?

Cormega - I don't know. That's something I have to think about and haven't really considered. See me, I don't want to release no snippets until I have a real firm clue of when I'ma put out my album after this because one of the problems with being independent is a lot of producers that work with the majors, this is where they get their energy from, this is where they get their ideas from. They bite from independent artists then they will sell that shit to somebody big and that makes us look stupid like we are biting or it takes away steam from our shit. The music I got on my new shit, I don't even wanna give niggas a snippet because somebody might jack it and I'm gonna be mad. My album is really serious and I'm not trying to give nobody no ideas. If you don't have no ideas, you need to pay me for consultation and I will help you with your album but to think I'm just gonna leak my shit to where you can just bite my shit I worked all these years on, hell no!

thaFormula.com - Now we never got to sit and talk about your reunion performance ("Affirmative Action" ) with Nas and Foxy Brown recently. Let's go back to that moment as far as how it felt, came together and did you wish AZ was there to make the whole "The Firm" reunion performance complete?

Cormega - I definitely wish AZ would have been there because that would have been the whole cipha from that. The feeling was powerful because I never felt nothing like that ever from a crowd. There was literally people that said that shit brought tears to their eyes. People hit me on the Internet and told me they had goosebumps. That was like some crazy shit, like Nas was even overwhelmed. Like we all were overwhelmed by it. I was nervous because it was a Nas show. It's not like it was promoted like "Cormega is performing." But a lot of Nas fans like me also it's just that a lot of them was confused during the beef. But that day I didn't know what was gonna happen. As far as I'm concerned, I could have came out and muthafuckas could have just booed or been like "get the fuck out of here." When I came out muthafuckas was screaming. Like I heard grown men screaming. It was some powerful shit put it like that.

thaFormula.com - After the performance did you guys talk about it at all or was that just one of those "it happened and that's it" situations?

Cormega - Nah, we talked about it afterwards. Like I said it surprised all of us. Nas was fucked, like "wow." Everybody was, L.E.S., everybody was like "yo that shit was crazy." To me that shit was crazier then when Nas came out at Jay-Z's show.

thaFormula.com - What was the main thing that made both of you guys forgive and forget the past?

Cormega - People need to understand that me and Nas have history. Me and Nas spoke like a year before that. Like he called me one day out of the blue and he said what he had to say and we both said a lot of things and you know it was just time for that shit to end. Like me and Nas grew up together. I'm not one of them niggas that just jumped on Nas bandwagon when he made a record. Like if Nas would have not made a record and not blew up, I would have still been his friend. All these other niggas that's around them can't really say that and he knows that. When Nas was just on the block, a regular nigga, I was his friend. Whether it was good days or bad days or we argued then or whatever, I was his friend. When you become a musician and you start seeing everybody come around you that just wants something and has their ulterior motives. You know who is real and who is from the heart. At the end of the day, I never asked Nas for shit. I'm not one of those niggas that depended on him financially, I never asked him to give me a deal, I never asked him to do shit. At the end of the day, any man is gonna respect that.

thaFormula.com - So have you guys talked since about doing anything together or any Firm reunion tracks or album?

Cormega - I mean we talked about doing shit, but right now my main focus is me. I haven't put out an album in years. I got to do a Cormega album, make my own noise before I do anything. Because at the end of the day Nas is the star of The Firm regardless. If they do a Firm album, Nas is the star. It's not about egos and shit. You got to understand your position, like Nas is the star and that's just point blank. I don't want to just be a nigga that's just trying to shine under the light of that star. I want to bring something to the table. I know people want a Cormega and Nas record. I know it, he knows it, and everybody knows it. So that's something that has a likelihood of happening. But I want to put out my music and do my shit and then we can do whatever we wanna do. I don't just wanna be like "alright I'm cool with Nas again and Ill just jump on his bandwagon and try to use him to get me high," I don't want to be one of those dudes.

thaFormula.com - What about the chances of an original Firm album or track?

Cormega - Like I told AZ one day, I'm like "yo B, there was a Firm album and I wasn't on it." As strong as everybody is with this Mega and the Firm shit, I think the same way everybody is affiliating me with the Firm now, I think muthafuckas should have been more opinionated about me being in the Firm when the Firm album was being made. That's my whole thing. What I'm saying is, what if that Firm album would have blew up and did 10 million or something? Then nobody would even be asking about Mega.

thaFormula.com - Now that trailer you put out recently for the "Who Am I" DVD dropping October 23rd has a clip with 50 Cent speaking on what Nas tried to do to you back then. Why would you put that on the trailer like that now that things are cool?

Cormega - I didn't have nothing to do with trailer. That's a Jordan Tower question. I mean I guess he did it because controversy sells.

thaFormula.com - Did it kind of bug you a little seeing that you and Nas are cool now?

Cormega - Nah it didn't bug me because you have to understand that this DVD depicts my life from 2001 to 2005 and during that time me and Nas wasn't cool. You've got to understand like a lot of people, they want the truth until they get it. You understand? When they get the truth, then they don't want the truth. So when he put that on the trailer I wasn't mad at all because its not like 50 Cent is lying. Like who am I for 50 Cent to lie about? So I'm glad 50 Cent said that because he came clean. People don't understand. Like I told you before behind the scenes, me and Nas had a lot of differences and it was more then what people thought. That's why I love this DVD because it explains so much. When you see this DVD it's gonna explain a lot of shit, but the beautiful thing about it all is that that was the past. Maybe there will be a "Who Am I" Part 2 and then you will see what happened after that and see the reconciliation with Nas or shit like that. Or what's the new plan for Mega or what's next for me. But from 2001 to 2005 you're gonna get everything that's a part of my life. You're gonna see my friends who are on there, you are gonna see people dead. Not literally dead like you not gonna see the bodies, but you gonna see like the funerals. It's real. Like from 2001 to 2003 there is one of my friends who is on the DVD a lot and then after that he gets killed by the police. That's on there and then we got footage of when the police was about to fuck us up and the only reason they didn't fuck us up is because we had a film guy there and he happened to be white and they didn't know who he was. We knew they was gonna fuck us up because police don't come with shields and helmets and batons just for nothing. So I'm telling you that there has never been a DVD like this, I guarantee you that. And you are getting a soundtrack with it and it's all for the same price of one CD.

thaFormula.com - People also seem to love your chemistry with Prodigy and Havoc. What's the deal with you and P nowadays?

Cormega - I mean I don't have no beef with P. I ain't speak to P in a while but you know I would love to do something with P. It's nothing like that, it's all about what do you want to do. Everybody knows me. This is what we do, we rap man. At the end of the day, rappers disappoint the fans and they take away from themselves by not doing what they do. What we do is make music. So it's like I understand that me and Mobb Deep make incredible songs but do they understand that? I spoke to Havoc last week.

thaFormula.com - Sometimes it can get upsetting because when you guys do end up getting in the studio again, it might be at a time when nobody cares anymore. It's like Marley and KRS-1 recording an album together 10 years too late. It was like nobody really cared when that dropped because it was just the wrong time…

Cormega - Exactly, that's what I'm saying. A lot of people do things for the wrong reason. Like you know a lot of artists when they make their reunion albums or "get back together" albums, they do it when they are no longer relevant or for financial reasons. Like "The Firm" album, like let's be realistic. Niggas in the Firm because I been around everybody from the Firm, everybody is talking about money. Like I don't know who is saying "let's do a Firm album because this is the way it should have been done so we can make a dope album and leave our stamp and gain our spot back." The only person that has talked like that so far is Nas. AZ is like "whatever." He is with it, but other people it's like the first thing they think about is cake like, "oh we are about to get cake." That's a quote. It ain't about no "oh we are about to make some incredible music" or "yo we are about to restore our place." I don't want to do something just for the money because that's where that being a ho shit comes in again. So it's like I don't want to make a fool out of myself for bread. Because at the end of the day you are still a fool. When I do something I want it to be dope. Every song I make, I want it to be dope. It could be a nigga that's not even known but I will try and give him the best verse I can give him. So it's like whatever you do son it's got to be right. That goes from The Firm, Mobb Deep, everybody. It's just got to be right when everybody does shit.

thaFormula.com - Now let's talk about the soundtrack that you are dropping with the DVD. What's the deal with that?

Cormega - I took some of the people that are on the actual DVD and I got songs from them. Like I got a Tragedy record, Jacka, and a Style P record on there. I got the record I just did with Dwele "Sleep Well" and a lot of other shit on there. Right now we are doing the DVD and I also got an instrumental record called "Got Beats" coming out October 9th. For all the people that just like to rhyme over instrumentals and stuff like that, I got tracks from like DJ Premier, Emile, Alchemist, Ski, and J Garfield. I'm just trying to put out some music for people that just want tracks because sometimes people hit me and talk about they want tracks so I'm gonna do a "Got Beats" every season. So you got the "Got Beats," the "Who Am I" DVD with the soundtrack, and you got the Cormega solo album. I got a lot of projects lined up.

thaFormula.com - So now that you've got your label stuff straight, releases ready, etc. , are you a little nervous because it's been so long since you last dropped a solo album? Do you ever think that maybe the industry has changed so much that maybe some of the fans have moved on or maybe some of the kids have moved on to other things?

Cormega - Honestly yeah sometimes I do. It's funny that you say that because a lot of people be like "yo mega you have die hard loyal fans." And I say "well we will definitely see because you know I invested a lot of money in these projects so hopefully I will see." I know the fans fluctuate, but you know one thing I notice. I don't make music for kids. It's like some of the songs I say you could keep with you for 10 or 15 years like "R U My Ni**a." "Live Ya Life," or some of the songs where I just give you jewels about life. I think that if you was in High School and now you're in College, you could still listen to my music because it applies to you. I just hope for the best. But I also look at other artists such as Prodigy. Like he recently put out that 'Return of the Mac" and it did real good. I know the Common just came out and he had the number one album. I noticed that when Nas made "Hip-Hop Is Dead" it did real good initially. So I'm starting to see that there is a pattern. It's like people want what they want. I think if I give the fans what I've been giving them, they will be there. I hope so. If they not then that's something else I'm gonna have to learn to deal with. Like my next solo album, I invested a lot in it and I'm not just talking money wise. I'm talking about mentally and energy wise. If I feel like the love ain't reciprocated, then I'm gonna have to consider other means of doing things. Maybe it's time for me to just do other things. I mean I'm gonna do other things regardless, but its like if you give so much and you get so little back, what are you doing it for? What people don't understand is that by the time my record comes out, there is gonna be so many dope records on it. I'm willing to put my credibility on the line on my next solo album. I'm telling you this is gonna be my best solo album. Put it this way, you know how every rapper say that their new album is their best album, I'm telling you my new album is gonna be my best album. Like this is my third solo album and my third solo album is so good that I don't even know what I'm gonna do for a fourth solo album. I got some songs in mind but I don't even know yet. I would really have to surpass the third album in order to make a fourth album.

thaFormula.com - It's been almost 5 years since your last solo album. How much of that time has been spent working on this new album? Would you say all these years have been spent on this album or have you been sitting on this album for a while now?

Cormega - It depends because I got a song that I just mixed that I just put together like two weeks ago. Alright my first album "The Realness" had two guest appearances, one was Tragedy and the other one was Mobb Deep. So the other day, I said I'm gonna give people "The Realness" all in one song because I'm not gonna have a bunch of features on my album. Because I got the song "Fresh" and I just did that song the other day with me, Tragedy and Havoc so it's like alright, you got "The Realness" features right here on this one record. The song is dope and then you got the song "Fresh" and that's my most proud guest appearance record because it has KRS-1, Big Daddy Kane, Grand Puba, and PMD and all those artists that I look up to and respect.

thaFormula.com - Personally, that is one of the best KRS-One verses I have heard him spit in years...

Cormega - Yeah, I take it as a compliment sometimes and it's like Red Alert is on it now. When you heard it Red Alert wasn't on it. So certain times delays can benefit you because you get things you didn't have before. Like I didn't have a Pete Rock beat before.

thaFormula.com - Havoc recently said some comments about the South in an interview, in your mind, what is your view on what he had to say?

Cormega - I mean I'm not gonna say nothing that's gonna put my foot in my mouth. I don't got no problem with no coasts. I don't know what Havoc said so I can't really comment on it. Only thing I can say is, the South, East and West, everybody is different cultures. Like the way you all talk out in Cali and the way you dress and live and the way we talk, dress and live are all supportive of our way of rhyming. So it's different. So I can't criticize the South because I'm not from the South. If you go down South and you get exposed to their culture then you will understand what they are doing. So I can't knock them because at the end of the day, listen because this is one thing I say, when you think of BMF like everybody was on their dick because they getting money and they are doing their thing. So if you could respect niggas from the street that's getting their money and doing their thing, why you can't respect another rapper that's getting his money and doing his thing? It's the same thing. We are people that came from nothing, we are minorities and we're getting money and that's the bottom line. So I can't knock nobody for getting their bread. It's just that we're different. I'm a MC, I'm not a rapper so I can't speak on rappers because I'm not a rapper. I can't say "rappers suck" or this and that because what they do doesn't apply to me so I can't diss them. I used to be like that but I learned from that now that I've been to so many places, like I been to Atlanta and I stayed out there for weeks and weeks at a time. So I can't criticize nobody because everybody is poor and trying to do their thing. I'd rather see a minority getting his money, then him doing a crime, so fuck it.

thaFormula.com - People talk a lot about the Black and White fans supporting Hip-Hop but never really mention the support the Latin community has given to hip hop over the years. How much of an impact do you think they have had on Hip-Hop?

Cormega - To be honest the Latin community doesn't get the respect they deserve. I can't say out in California because I'm not out there and I don't know. Like from what I understand Psycho Realm is doing their thing crazy right now out there, but I wouldn't know because I'm on the East Coast and they don't play that over here. But from what I understand is that Latinos have always contributed to Hip-Hop. They haven't gotten the credit they deserve. From day one there has always been Latinos in Hip-Hop. It's just some of them are dark and you might not know they are Latino. Like AZ is half Dominican and Big Pun when he died, people didn't really speak about it like they spoke about it when Biggie died or someone else died when Pun was just as good as anybody. Yo, Latinos and women are two of the most overlooked things in Hip-Hop who have been some of the biggest contributors since day 1. If you really study demographics and stuff like that, anybody that has any common sense knows that the Latino population is the fastest growing population in the country so if the population is growing they have to be contributing to the culture because they listen to it. But everybody has their day in the sun.

thaFormula.com - So close it out with when is the DVD is dropping Mega?

Cormega - The release date is October 23rd man, go buy that, In fact go buy two.
 Index / Muziek /
© 1998 - 2024 NLhiphop.nl. Alle rechten voorbehouden - All rights reserved. Parsed in 0.0104 sec.