Deze site is tegenwoordig een archief over Nederlandse hiphop vroeger en krijgt geen updates meer. Zowel de site als forum zijn te tof geweest om niet online te houden.
Index   -   Actieve onderwerpen   -   Beleid   -   Zoeken   
 Index / Muziek /
Vent
Gepost door Vent op zondag 19-06-2005 om 23:23:56
Quote:
New York combo Gangstarr were among the most influential hip-hop acts in the late 80s. The group have since inspired true-school MCs, beatmakers and DJs across the globe. But now, out of the blue, Gangstarr have called it quits.

Guru (aka Keith Elam) is embarking on a solo career, while DJ Premier (Christopher Martin) is (presumably) focussing on studio production. Guru, who took time out from Gangstarr for his critically adored Jazzmatazz in the early 90s, is re-establishing his identity with Version 7.0: The Street Scriptures out later this month via his own indie label, Seven Grand Records.

Guru is currently previewing Version 7.0 on his first Australian solo tour. Ask him how the album compares to his previous endeavours and the MC pulls no punches.

“First of all, I would say it’s the most important because it represents Guru’s emancipation from the major label influences,” he asserts, speaking (for some reason) in third person. “This is my own label, so it’s not only a solo project, but it is Guru as a CEO of his solo project. So it’s a different look.

“Basically, this is more important than any other solo project I’ve done. Also, Jazzmatazz, which was my first solo project, will be coming out through Seven Grand Records as well, so everything that Guru does in the future will be coming through this label.”

Guru is accompanied on Version 7.0 by such disparate identities as Styles P, Jaguar Wright, Jean Grae, Talib Kweli and B-Real. However, the MC stresses that Version 7.0, which he co-produced with the relatively unknown Solar, is distinct from his collaborative Jazzmatazz volumes.

“Jazzmatazz is jazz – it’s not pure hip-hop. It’s hip hop and jazz. This is a pure hip-hop album. This album is for the streets.”

The response in the US to lead single ‘Cave In’ has been “ridiculous”, according to Guru. It seems like he’s well and truly back with a bang.

But what of Gangstarr? The group may be revered by underground hip-hop devotees, but they never matched the commercial success of their peers (like De La Soul) and so, after the disappointment of sixth album The Ownerz, they apparently decided to let it go.

Above all, Gangstarr were unhappy with their label, Virgin. Their promotion was mishandled and they were forced to liaise with a succession of A&R reps. No sooner had they built a relationship with a rep, he or she would be fired in yet another downsizing purge.

“Not only that, but you’ve got A&R and executives making decisions who are not from the culture, not from the streets,” Guru says.

It was around the time Gangstarr released The Ownerz that Guru befriended Solar, his current collaborator.

“I was telling him about a lot of this frustration and he said to me, ‘Well, if it’s that bad, why don’t you start your own label?’. He’s like, ‘Jay-Z did it. Puff did it… all these guys. They ain’t got nuttin’ on you. You’re talented, you’ve got experience, why don’t you do it?’.

“I was like, ‘Hmm’… and here we are.”

Guru conceived Gangstarr in his home city of Boston. Determined to enter the music industry, this son of the city’s first black judge studied business management. He formed Gangstarr with a fellow Bostonian, DJ Mike Dee, but, after aligning themselves with Wild Pitch, they fell out. Guru discovered Christopher Martin (then DJing under the Waxmaster C moniker and involved with Insane Clown Posse) by way of a demo in the label’s office. Martin had been studying computer science until Guru convinced him to join Gangstarr in New York. When he relocated, Martin changed his DJ name to Premier.

Gangstarr debuted on Wild Pitch with No More Mr Nice Guy, switching to Chrysalis (EMI) for 1991’s Step In The Arena and consolidating their fan base with Daily Operation. They connected with a progressive jazz community early, vibing with Branford Marsalis on a track for Spike Lee’s Mo’ Better Blues.

Shortly after, Guru formulated his groundbreaking Jazzmatazz, Vol 1 and showed the world the affinity between jazz and hip-hop. Meanwhile, he sustained his allegiance to straight-up hip hop with Gangstarr.

Despite recent events, there have been no reports of Gangstarr’s demise. The two toured Australia in 2004 with Good Vibrations and all seemed well. So what exactly is their status?

“Gangstarr is a legacy, so I’m putting that legacy to rest. I don’t wanna milk it,” Guru says. He offers another analogy: the boxing champion who refuses to retire, only to enter the ring and be swiftly knocked out. Guru didn’t want to walk down that road.

“That’s what happens to a lot of artists from my era, or old-school artists, when they’ve gone past a certain point. I never wanted to go out like that. So what I did was reinvent and recreate.”

Similarly, Guru admires how Snoop Dogg severed ties with Dr Dre rather than strived to relive Doggystyle. The Gs remain on friendly terms, yet Snoop is recasting himself with The Neptunes’ assistance.

“That is very similar to Guru and Premier and now Guru and Solar,” Guru offers

Still, Guru shies away from using the ‘S’ word (that’s “split”) to describe Gangstarr, explaining it has negative connotations. After all, all is good between the Gangstarr boys. They’ve just moved on.

“I’ve moved on ’cause ‘splitting up’ would imply a whole bunch of other things and I don’t even have time for all that. But, if you wanna say ‘split up’, you could say ‘split up’. What I’m saying is it is what it is.”

Guru plays Cesars Thursday Jun 16. Version 7.0: The Street Scriptures is out through Creative Vibes later this month.

CYCLONE
Huussuh Gepost door Huussuh op zondag 19-06-2005 om 23:31:57
Zonde.. Gang Starr rockte man, vooral die oldschool tracks behoren tot mn klassieker-lijstje. Maarja, twas toch wel in slaap gedommeld ofzo, baanbrekend waren die laatste albums niet. Wel vet.

Kwil die track van Guru eigenlijk wel horen.
[ Dit bericht is gewijzigd door op 19-06-2005 @ 23:32:22 ]

----------------------------------------
dap schreef op 08-11-2010 @ 17:52
over 2 maanden weet ik al niet meer wie huussuh is.
upnorth
Geile Scheisse!
Gepost door upnorth op zondag 19-06-2005 om 23:37:15
Het zou wel heel jammer zijn. De beats van premier in combinatie met het ille stemgeluid van guru waren altijd een gouden combinatie. Zelfs de vroegere albums zet ik nog regelmatig op.

Heb die single nog niet gehoord, zal eens even op zoek

edit - hij staat in drop je mp3
[ Dit bericht is gewijzigd door op 19-06-2005 @ 23:51:14 ]

Days to come
Noedels
DE GRW IS GAAF
Gepost door Noedels op maandag 20-06-2005 om 07:10:07
Ach ja echt verheffend wat het allemaal niet meer...hoogstens leuk. Het is wel goed geweest met Gangstarr.
The Ownerz had van mij al niet meer gehoeven, full clip was een mooie afsluiter geweest.
clonebabybeats baby
TivoBizzy
Tivo Is In Het Huisje
Gepost door TivoBizzy op maandag 20-06-2005 om 07:31:36
Ik Vind Als Je Eenmaal Bent Begonnen nog net zolang door gaat als je dat zelf wilt en als je weet dat je als groep goed bent en word geaccepteerd , dan kan ik niet snappen waarom je solo gaat want je weet dat dat niet werkt.. maar gangstarr was dope helaas ga ze missen .
Tivo
"We zijn de meest gevreeste beeste leven in de stad der steden , de reden dat ik hier ben.."
creative
Fresh
Gepost door creative op maandag 20-06-2005 om 07:41:33
Woord,

Gang Starr is/was gewoon de bom!
Huussuh Gepost door Huussuh op maandag 20-06-2005 om 09:47:48
Quote:
TivoBizzy schreef op 20-06-2005 @ 07:31
Ik Vind Als Je Eenmaal Bent Begonnen nog net zolang door gaat als je dat zelf wilt en als je weet dat je als groep goed bent en word geaccepteerd , dan kan ik niet snappen waarom je solo gaat want je weet dat dat niet werkt.. maar gangstarr was dope helaas ga ze missen .

Waarom zou solo dan niet werken..? Er zijn echt genoeg voorbeelden op te noemen van artiesten die zowel in hun crew als solo dope kwamen.
dap schreef op 08-11-2010 @ 17:52
over 2 maanden weet ik al niet meer wie huussuh is.
Angelix
jeweetwie
Gepost door Angelix op maandag 20-06-2005 om 09:48:33
Tim!!!

Komt zelfs vetter solo
Ik beschouw mezelf een held in dit,niet volgens opinie
maar omdat ik mezelf geweldig vind.
Noedels
DE GRW IS GAAF
Gepost door Noedels op maandag 20-06-2005 om 10:14:23
Ik vind die tweede jazzmatazz echt classic yo. Solo kan wel degelijk goed werken.
clonebabybeats baby
Vent
Gepost door Vent op maandag 20-06-2005 om 10:29:58
Ik heb die nieuwe stiekem al gedownload.
Guru - Version 7.0 The Street Scriptures.rar dus datja.
Zal 'm zo uit gaan pakken en luisteren want ben behoorlijk benieuwd.
Mip
Gepost door Mip op maandag 20-06-2005 om 11:14:21
binnekort zou Ahead of The Game uitkomen van Gang Starr Foundation
vage shit, zal wel poep zijn

jammer als dit waar is
V.I.P.
California dreamin'
Gepost door V.I.P. op maandag 20-06-2005 om 12:16:09
jammer
I've tried Shakespeare, respect due dere
But did is de stuff I like
BakSteen..
DieShitiS..LELIJK
Gepost door BakSteen.. op maandag 20-06-2005 om 14:00:16
Zo egt Fokop.zijn......maar gangstarr was in zijn glorie tijd te erg..laatste album was wel dope maar niet zo dope als Die oldskool shit....Guru is al wel met een solo aant promoten..

Bah .Alles scheid zigh van elkaar..

hahhahaha..KK..Skaffa ..
ik Spit Precies, Jij Spit Sessie''s, Jij Spit Zestien, maar Spit met een Disslecktie
Mellow-Man_u Gepost door Mellow-Man_u op woensdag 22-06-2005 om 15:13:01
Ja... zoals er reeds gezegd is, waren de laatste cd's niet meer de kwaliteit van vroeger! hopelijk wordt het solo album wat vet! Kben toch nog steeds een fan!
 Index / Muziek /
© 1998 - 2024 NLhiphop.nl. Alle rechten voorbehouden - All rights reserved. Parsed in 0.0073 sec.